Click to Home
Stay Connected
(785) 251-2000
Go To Search

Are tax credits possible for volunteering with the Medical Reserve Corps?
Yes. Volunteers in the United States may receive tax deductions from the federal government on many costs associated with volunteering, such as mileage and other travel expenses, parking, uniforms if the volunteer purchases his / her own, and more. These deductions apply only if you are not getting reimbursed for these expenses and you are itemizing on your tax form. When volunteers drive their own vehicles to perform volunteer duties, including to and from trips to their volunteer service, the IRS permits a deduction per mile. MRC volunteers who want a tax deduction should keep good records of mileage in performing volunteer duties and ask their tax preparation specialist for information on deducting volunteer expenses. For more information visit the IRS website to review Publication #526 Charitable Contributions.

Medical Reserve Corps

Show All Answers

1. Are Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) volunteers covered under a liability protection policy?
2. Are tax credits possible for volunteering with the Medical Reserve Corps?
3. Are there any fees or costs to volunteer?
4. Can I get Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for training?
5. Do volunteers have to live in Shawnee County?
6. Do you have to have medical skills to volunteer for the Medical Reserve Corps?
7. How many hours will I be volunteering?
8. What does a MRC volunteer do during an emergency?
9. What does a MRC volunteer do during times of non-emergency?
10. What does it mean when a volunteer is considered on active status?
11. What is the difference between the Medical Reserve Corps and other emergency support organizations such as the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army?
12. What types of training do volunteers receive?
13. Will I be paid for my services with the MRC?
14. Will MRC volunteer activities interfere with my regular job?
15. Will there be any travel involved while volunteering?